Sunday, June 3, 2012

Delicioso!


We've been trying to make more meals at home and eat healthy foods here at the Donahue house and it has actually been quite a bit of fun trying out new recipes! It's even more fun when the sun is shining and we can enjoy our dinner out on the balcony with a glass of crisp white wine.

About 5 or 6 months ago I started eating a primarily vegan diet. I say primarily because I still eat fish and am not 100% strict with it. I started the diet because I was having some health issues and this change in lifestyle was a good alternative to taking a bunch of medication that I didn't really want to take. And it has definitely been working, so I decided I would just stay on this path! At first switching to a vegan menu was really challenging- I felt like I couldn't eat anything. But then I became more adventurous and invested in switching out some key ingredients in our fridge and cabinets. For the most part, Mr. Butter has been eating the same foods as me and I am very proud of him for being so adventurous and supportive!

Some of our favorite dishes include: Creamy polenta with roasted bell peppers and veggie sausage, Basil pesto pasta with sun dried tomatoes and pine nuts, Tomato bruschetta drizzled with balsamic vinegar syrup, all kinds of variations on tacos, burritos, and nachos, lotsa' bean chili (not so much Tim's favorite, but I like it!), BBQ "chicken" sandwiches, "Turkey" burgers, Peanut butter cookies, Peanut butter bread, Strawberry mango salsa with homemade cinnamon sugar pita chips, and salad with strawberries, walnuts, and shallots.

I look forward to sharing some of these delicious recipes with you this summer! They are light and easy to make, and enjoyable for non-vegans as well!


No comments:

Post a Comment