Sunday, April 22, 2012

At Work


Despite the gorgeous weather outside I decided that today I would stay in and work on my paintings in the studio. I am glad I did because I ended up finishing a piece I have been working on for a while now. I have a habit of completely losing track of time while I am working and like to make sure I give myself a big chunk of the day dedicated to doing nothing but creating. I listen to music while I paint and enjoy all of the different memories and feelings that come with listening to a particular song. Here's a sampling of my playlist for today:


  1. Electric Light Orchestra "Living Thing": ELO always reminds me of my father and all the great music he introduced us to at such a young age. 
  2. Elton John "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road": Old school Elton is the best Elton.
  3. Neil Young "After The Gold Rush": "Harvest Moon" is my favorite, but this is pretty good too. 
  4. Jovanotti "Penelope": I discovered Jovanotti while I was living in Italy in college. Italian rap is kind of amazing. 
  5. Coldplay "Fix You": Sometimes I forget just how long I have been listening to Coldplay. This album reminds me of the summer I spent traveling Europe in 2005, especially the sunny days in London. 
  6. The Black Keys "Tighten Up": The Black Keys are a newer addition to my music family but I can't seem to get enough!
  7. Electric Light Orchestra "Hold On Tight": I am kind of obsessed. 
  8. Miike Snow "Song For No One": Ok, I take it back. I am actually obsessed with Miike Snow right now.
  9. Harry Nilsson "Without You": Are you familiar with "The Puppy Song"? If not, you should be. My dad used to play it for me and it was only the best song ever. Once I finally get a dog, it will be our theme song. 
  10. Cut Copy "Lights and Music (Moulinex Remix)": 'Cause you gotta mix it up a little.
And here's the painting I finished today:

Amanda Donahue, "The Cubans", Acrylic on Canvas, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment