Wednesday, April 18, 2012

DIY Painted Coffee Table


Good morning and happy Wednesday! Mr. Butter and I recently moved into our first apartment together and guess what? I got the decorating bug! I am a big fan of DIY projects and it became clear to me that our beloved yet somewhat battered Ikea coffee table could use a little sprucing up. This is one of the easiest projects I have tackled, but it makes such a huge difference in our living room space.

Supplies needed:
-Coffee table of choice- wood or like ours, particle board covered in acrylic paint. We had the brown/black Lack coffee table from Ikea- I know there must be some of you out there that have this same table. It's a starter home staple!
-Spray paint in color of choice. We chose a wine red in a matte finish.
-Blue painters tape
-Plastic drop cloth

Step 1:
Make sure your coffee table surface is clean and dry. Begin to tape off sections of the table in any design you choose. Our living room is full of neutrals and simple designs, so I chose a diamond pattern to add some texture and spice it up a bit! Make sure you press down firmly on the edges of the tape to ensure a clean line.


Step 2:
After protecting the area you are working in (I used my balcony and put down a plastic drop cloth to protect the floor) begin to coat the surface with a layer of spray paint. Follow the instructions on the can. It will most likely take you a few coats to get an even look. I wanted sharp edges and saturated color, which took me about 3 to 4 layers of paint to get.

Once the paint dries, gently remove the tape (painter's tape should come off easily without leaving residue or damaging the surface, but if your table is from Ikea like ours- I would still be careful!)


Step 3:
Enjoy your new and improved coffee table! Since it happened to be a beautiful sunny day in Portland (a rarity in the otherwise rainy spring) I decided to go ahead and use our table outside for an impromptu dinner with the hubs and a friend. 


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment