Tuesday, May 1, 2012

MoMA


Friday afternoon Tim and I took off on our own little adventure to eat at Shake Shack and visit the Museum of Modern Art for their free Friday nights (score!). I have never seen so many people packed into a museum to look at modern and contemporary art. It was really refreshing! 

It was one of the biggest and best collections I have seen. There was an excellent Cindy Sherman exhibition on the top level and it was such a treat to see the entire span of her work over the years. I also enjoyed Monet's water lily pieces including the one photographed above. Impressionist works are reproduced so often that they start to lose their beauty. Seeing this work in person was an entirely different experience- it was breathtaking. The brushstrokes are fabulously abstract and the colors seem to glow on the canvas. The large scale also allows you to get lost in the work and just enjoy the beauty of the painting. 


There was also an excellent Mark Bradford work on display. I find his ideas regarding abstraction and craft intriguing- particularly his view of the map as an abstract grid. He takes collage to a higher level and inspires me to do the same with my own works. Let's "zoom" in to the piece:


It's madness. I love it. 

A few more:



Let's also talk about the wonder that is the Shake Shack. It had been such a long time since I indulged in a cheeseburger and it was worth the wait. It was just the right size and super tasty, and to top it all off I also ordered a peanut butter shake. Yum.


I am going to go dream of delicious burgers and fries now. Mmm....

...

No comments:

Post a Comment